OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Our mission is to prepare, prevent, protect and provide caring service to the City of Georgetown and surrounding region.
OUR PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS
The Georgetown Fire Department was organized around 1881. The date is unknown due to lost records.
The Williamson County Sun reported, January 26, 1882, that the Hook and Ladder Company 1, of the Fire Department, was organized. At that time the following officers were also elected: John H. Leavell, president; W.F. Steele, vice president; J.C. Cameron, secretary; Emzy Taylor, treasurer; J. W. Kincaid, foreman; S.T. Atkin, first assistant foreman; and W.C. Pfaeffle, second assistant foreman.
Around the same time the Hook and Ladder Company were started, a second company, the Rescue Hose Company 1, was also organized. Although the exact date of its beginning has not been determined, many stories and clippings say the year was 1881. All personnel of those early years were volunteers.
Three years after the Hook and Ladder Company was formed, the Williamson County Sun also reported, January 5, 1885, that a new fire house was being built north of the standpipe for the “truck and hose carts.” (History provided by Clara Scarbrough.)
The Hook and Ladder was pulled by manpower to the fire, and then a bucket brigade sent water from the hose to the fire. This was primitive, compared to sophisticated equipment now, but it saved many homes and buildings in the community from serious loss.
The organization of the Georgetown Fire Department happened rather soon after the great fire of Taylorsville (Taylor, Texas) on February 25, 1879. One can assume that this served as a warning to Georgetown and possibly other places.