Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide, also called CO, is a toxic gas that you cannot see or smell.


You may be exposed to unsafe levels of CO by:

vector graphic of a house and carbon monoxide monitor

  • Using poorly maintained or improperly vented fireplaces, woodstoves, heating equipment, ovens, water heaters or other appliances;

  • Using a gas stove, grill, or oven to heat the home;

  • Running a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.

  • Cooking with a charcoal or gas grill inside the home or other enclosures.


vector graphic of an ambulance

Breathing CO can cause headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

If CO levels are high enough, you may become unconscious or die.

Seek medical help and get outside to fresh air if you think you may have CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.


Check mark indicating do

Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911


Check mark indicating do

Make sure all fuel-burning appliances, fireplaces, and wood stoves are properly vented


Check mark indicating do

Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year


Check mark indicating do

Only use generators outside, more than 20 feet away from your home, doors, and windows


X mark indicating don'tNever use a generator, grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal burning devices inside the home, basement, or garage or near a window, door or vent


X mark indicating don'tDo not use a gas cooking range, grill, or oven to heat your home


X mark indicating don'tDo not run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if the garage door is left open


X mark indicating don'tDo not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented



Visit CDC’s Environmental Public Health Tracking Network to learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning,

Information Provided on this website is directory from CDC website.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email